You can probably guess who I'm talking about.
I know this is something that's divided opinions and caused a lot of controversy, and you might not agree with what I'm about to say, though it'll be barely political- but this is my blog, and my opinions. If I didn't say what I thought was right, there would be no point in keeping it up. I also accept that what I say raises other moral questions, and though this tends to be my opinion, of course there will be exceptions, and cases where I'd take a different view. Anyway, here goes.
Maggie Thatcher was a very famous and important politician. No matter what your views are, I don't think you can argue with those facts: she became the first (and, as yet, only) female British Prime Minister. That was a pretty major success for equality. Over the course of her time in politics, Thatcher made both good and bad choices, resulting in both good and bad results.
Due to her less popular choices, many people have resorted to social media to cheer over her death, expressing happiness and relief. This, as far as I'm concerned, is completely wrong. I'm not saying I agree with all that she did, because I don't. That still doesn't make it right to crow.
Thatcher lost her husband in 2003, after over fifty years of marriage. They had two children and two grandchildren. She suffered from ill health- including dementia- for several years previous to her death, which was ultimately cause by an unexpected stroke.
Everything else, all the politics and all the controversy, have already happened. At the time, she did what she thought was right; sure, she made mistakes, and many people suffered because of them- but this isn't the time to dwell on that. She was still human. She laughed and cried, loved and lost, just like the rest of us. And, just like the rest of us, she deserves our respect.
So, don't go out and scream your delight that she's gone.
We're all human, we're all here, we all make mistakes. The least we can do is have respect.