After breakfast, we went into Sarajevo. Went into Deichmann- the cheap shoe shop we found before in Birmingham. It was perfect opportunity to get shoes for R, but of course there were none she liked the feel of! She is very picky about her shoes!
Walked down what we think was a main road, trying to find tourist info as we weren't sure where to go or what to see. We had been recommended the 'Pigeon Square', but had no clue where it was (just that it was in the Turkish quarter- wherever that was!) and it wasn't marked on the map.
On the way we stopped at a book market thing; however, everything was in Bosnian, strangely enough.
Carried on, managed to find a sort of corridor with a cross between market stalls and shops, which was interesting and very nice. I liked the scarves- 5KM, around £2.50!!
Market Corridor Thing!
Looked around the market a lot. It was really nice, with lots and lots
of lovely clothes!! R got some hair clips and we all got some badges.
Also got a new band/bracelet that says 'LIVE STRONG' and a scarf with
sort of explosion flower things on.Had lunch at a cafe called Rahatlook with a beautiful inspiring menu. Lunch ended up being pancakes. R and I ordered Nutella each, and a while later the woman brought out a plate with two Nutella pancakes, and one knife and fork. We thought it was odd that they were on one plate, but good for washing. Mum gave us her fork, and we had a pancake each. Then, around 10 minutes later the woman brought out a second plate of two pancakes! So we shared that one too. We think she brought them separately to make sure they were hot; still, I prefer the custom of all orders at once as it's a lot less confusing!!
After lunch we carried on looking around. Somehow we managed to find the Pigeon Square!! There were loaaads of pigeons, and a man selling bird food for 1KM (less than 50p). It was very fun to feed the birds- we discovered the best thing to do was to sprinkle a little on the floor so that loads swarmed over, then to hold out some food in your palm so the brave ones would eat from it. Any minute movement, however, and they were off!- so my plans of subtly stroking one were screwed. The best alternative was to wait until one was resting it's neck on my thumb then move my thumb as lightly as possible. Their feathers were so soft!!!
Pigeon Feeding Time!
After Pigeon Square, we walked on and found a very very small Bosnian
market, where we bought a little fruit- mainly raspberries, which I
absolutely adore!!Walked a little back through the Turkish market, and to the river, which was nice to walk along for a bit. Then we went back to the road we walked along earlier, stopping first in a stationers to get presents for R's friends S and O, then to browse in a 'Cosmetics Market'- Mum and I got a mascara pack, two for the price of less than £2.50. It is so so cheap here!!
Pauses a while longer in the book market on the way back to look for any English books- I've run out of reading! However the only English books were quite expensive and didn't interest me anyway, so I left it. I can always reread something!!
We passed some fountains on the way back; R was very hot and tired, so Mum stopped with her then and I carried on back to the hotel. Once there I couldn't get the room key to work, so had to get it redone!
Sarajevo
Better (But Non-Photogenic) At Night
Window. Not Mirror.
Found a book on the iPad and read that. Mum and R came back. We agreed
to relax a while, then go out for dinner, then Skype Dad on our return.I finished reading the book I'd started- it was compelling, though I'm not sure I would recommend it; parts felt quite rushed, and the ending was a little naïve, with everyone playing happy families. After that, I had a bath and actually felt clean for the first time!! Painted my nails too :) 'Twas gooood.
Went out to find somewhere to have dinner; however, we couldn't find anywhere suitable, so in the end we went to a supermarket. R wasn't happy with this, and took ages choosing, which frustrated me. Went back to hotel and ate. Then went down to lobby and Skyped Dad.
Back to hotel room- bed!!