Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Three Years On

One of my absolute favourite apps at the moment (and since I downloaded it, back around September/October) is the Timehop app. It syncs with your Facebook/Twitter/other social media profiles to tell you what you posted a year ago, two years ago and so on (mine goes up to five years ago, which is roughly when my social media presence began). I really like seeing what I was up to, and I think it's fab!
Today's entry, for the 29th July 2014, has a picture of Amsterdam from last year; a status about getting Amy Macdonald tickets from 2012; and some lyrics and pictures from 2011. Those pictures and lyrics suddenly reminded me- yesterday was the third anniversary of my great-aunt's death, and of the summer that surrounded it. I blogged about that summer before, in relation to the song What Happiness Means To Me (by the one and only Amy MacDonald). Things have changed a lot since then- I'm very much over the person I was interested in then (though she'll always be an important person in my memories, for giving me so much, completely unintentionally) and I don't think of my great-aunt that much. Still, that song reminds me of the weird summer of 2011, and I think that I'll always see that period of time as a bit of a historical landmark in my life. It's just one of those things, really.
Interestingly- coincidentally?- What Happiness Means To Me has taken on new relevance in my life recently, in relation to a different set of events. It's a beautiful song, bittersweet and quite deep and philosophical if you look at it closely. Versatile, as well- I've found resonance with it in two different situations, and I'm sure others would relate to it in other circumstances.
That was all I wanted to say, really. Just thought I'd mark the occasion! Including a Grooveshark recording of the song from the live orchestral concert... So beautiful!