One day, you will think of me. Something will happen- maybe you'll pass someone in the street, perhaps you'll hear something, a phrase that I used to say. Maybe I'll even be mentioned outright- do you remember her?
There'll be a pause. You will stop, take a breath, think of all you know, all you ever knew. The times we laughed together, the occasions we stopped to talk. All of that will come rushing back. You may not have thought of it in years, but you will then. Of course, you'll think of the bad things, too; whenever I embarrassed myself, or the awful rumours that spread. There'll be that to think of, as well.
You'll wonder where I am now, what I'm doing, what I've made of my life. Maybe you'll have had theories, way back when we knew each other- this is when you'll wonder whether they were true.
On the other side of the world, I'll be doing the same about you. Pausing to remember. Considering where you could be, how your life might have panned out. I, also, will think of all I knew and all I know- all that happened, for better or for worse. The days you were feeling rough and the times I couldn't look you in the eye. All of it.
Then, within a couple of seconds, the world will have moved on, and we'll carry on with our lives. Maybe we'll think of each other again, sometime. Maybe we won't. In the end, however, we'll have had that moment, when we remembered each other, and that's what will count.
I'll miss you, when that moment comes. I'll miss knowing you, being near you, and once again I'll wish that things were different.
Will you miss me? Is there anything that's happened, anything we've shared, that you'll miss?
Tell me there is.
Tell me there is.