Saturday, 2 March 2013

Gambia: Day Nine

Friday 15th February
Spent the morning cooking with Grade 8 A and B which was pleasant, though very smoky. They have no self-raising flour, so the mixture has to be mixed for an hour to get enough air in for it to rise. The students got to choose between woodwork or domestic science, so the class was all female. Nearly all female. Lambo was the only boy. What a surprise! He was in my group as well... Swear he's secretly our stalker.
My Cooking Group
Whilst the cakes were cooking, we went to the assembly, where we were all congratulated on the game of musical chairs. Then we went back to the domestic science class, and we all had some of the delicious cake. It was great, and very filling!
Cooking Cake
 There's Cake In There ^.^
There were a few teachers for domestic science; one of them had her baby with her. There's such a different attitude here- it's completely normal for the baby to go to work with her mum!
Miss W And The Baby
Went to the market for a bit, where Miss A bought prizes for tomorrow's quiz. I really enjoyed looking around the market, though I didn't buy anything. We weren't allowed to take many pictures- one man threatened to charge Eleanor D100 unless she deleted one she'd taken! (She deleted it, but he didn't realise she'd actually taken two...) 
Fabric Shop
Aladdin's Cavern
Took midday break back at the guest house. Very chilled, though tensions a little high at points. I thought I'd lost my phone, but thankfully it turned up in the lounge area.
Got ready and went to the school for football; Cabot versus the FUB girls team.
Go Cabot!
 
 Apparently, We Won On Penalties
Miss W and I spent the whole game as 'subs', which involved lots of chatting and looking away when they called people up to swap them in. We also spent some time with the younger students, which was nice.
Wearing Daisy's Glasses
After the game we went to have tea with Gambian families! We were put into three groups, and each was assigned a group belonging to a different tribe. I was with Eleanor, Will, Ben, Miss W and Mr M- we went to the house of a Mandinkan tribe.
Ida, Our Student Host
We had a really really great evening; the (huuge) family was incredibly welcoming and we all learnt a lot. The family was very confusing, however; many people- aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.- live in one compound, and I think there were some family friends as well. I was talking to Ida, our host, about her parents living in Banjul: she's looked after by her brother's wife. As we'd met her brother's wife, I said 'Oh yes, Ida'; to which she replied 'No, my brother's other wife'. So yes, very Mandinkan!
I think we were all quite surprised by the house; the family was obviously well-off, as they had lots of phones, wifi, flatscreen TV etc.!
The House
We had our dinner in a different room. It was soo good- a combination of things including chicken yassa, bennechin and a sort of mashed potato/egg. I've eaten waay too much this holiday, but it's hard to resist when the food's this good!
After dinner we chatted more with the family, which was nice. Then we walked back in the dark; some parts were nearly pitch black, so the starts were very visible. It was all so beautiful.
Only bad bit was when one of the neighbours proposed to Eleanor, then hinted at a visa to myself. Thankfully, Mr M saved the day by changing the conversation!
Home and had a short discussion about our evenings; everyone had equally fab experiences!