Monday, 11 November 2013

Remembrance Day

Last year I remember posting a variety of different war poems that I found powerful in some way. This year, however, I just want to go for one quote, adapted from one of those poems: For our tomorrow, they gave their today. This quote has been my staple post for social media remembrance this year; I find it simple, but with a huge ability to make me think. Too many of us take our tomorrow's for granted- yet every soldier who goes into battle of any kind knows that they may not have a tomorrow. They may not even get a today. Sacrificing that for others is something I consider to be almost incomprehensible- if it hasn't been for the many, many soldiers throughout history, the world today would be an extremely different place.
I am not saying whether I feel war is right or wrong- I don't think this is the time to get into that at all. Today is a time to put aside those beliefs, and remember all those who have given so much, and those who continue to do so.
Thoughts with all soldiers, past, present and future, and their families and friends x