Gonna write a bit about each (and probably descend into what I call 'blithering fangirlness'- wait for it!) and also share my (fairly awful) pictures- if they look weird on a computer screen, then many apologies!!! Should probably also mention- one of these I went along to because my friend invited me and I liked the songs that I'd heard by the artist; the other is one I am a huge huge fan of. People who have been following my blog for a whole wil probably know whoich is which already. Those of you who don't, it will become clear, I promise!!
Okay, so first up!- Gabrielle Aplin at the O2 on Friday! There were two support acts- the first, Hayley Chillcott, I really really liked, and want to download some of her music (as soon as I have a laptop!!). Go Youtube her! The second was okay, but not so distinctive in my eyes.
Then, of course, Gabrielle Aplin herself was fab! She interacted with the audience really well, which was nice, and there was a lot of energy in her performance. Also, it was obvious that she got on well with her band, which always improves a performance! I think my favourite songs from her set were Panic Cord, How Do You Feel Today? and Please Don't Say You Love Me, the last of which everyone was singing along to! For the encore she included Home, which is one of biggest hits- I like it enough, but do have to admit that I don't think it's her best, even if it's the most acclaimed.
Only thing I was really disappointed with was that quite a few of her songs include strings of some kind, and these were pre-recorded. However, had I not already seen Laura Mvula and her amazing instrumentation, I doubt I would have noticed that at all!
Only managed to get one semi-alright pic, but here you go :)
Okay, number two! KT Tunstall at the Colston Hall on Saturday. This is where I shall probably descend into slight nonsense.
The support act was a guy called Billy Lockett, who was fab- another person I need to look up on iTunes!! I really liked a song he did called Don't Waste All Your Time On Me, about a soldier going off to war. Incredibly emotive, and very current-news pertinent.
During the interval I got chatting to the people around me, which was very nice, particularly as I was there on my own (go alone or not go at all?- not a choice!).
KT's set was, of course, incredibly amazing. I was really impressed that it was literally just her, a guitar, and pre-recorded stuff; even more impressed when, for EVERY SONG, she demonstrated drum beats etc. on her guitar before the recording took over. A very talented musician!
She mainly did songs from her new album (Invisible Empire//Crescent Moon), which were all very good- they're quite pared back compared to some of her other stuff. However, she also did some 'old favourites' from other albums; also brilliant.
My highlights of the night were Invisible Empire, Cresecent Moon, Yellow Flower and (Still A) Weirdo. However, my absolute favourite was Black Horse & The Cherry Tree- not only was there loads of audience participation (as she said, 'role play'), she also whacked out her kazoo and made it into a mash-up of Seven Nation Army. It was utterly fabulous, more than words can describe.
Also really liked Suddenly I See, which was- of course!- part of the encore, with everyone on their feet, clapping and dancing along!!
Again, her interaction with the audience was really good- she was really funny, and kept everyone entertained in between sets! It was nice to see that she didn't take herself über-seriously; for example, on Through The Dark, she explained that she'd initially almost recorded it in one take, but had 'arsed up the final chord'. She then proceeded to perform it, complete with a messed up final chord and the word 'arse'.
So yeah, it was a truly amazing night, and I wish I could relive it- I definitely want to see her again!!! Aww it was just so indescribable :3
Got a few pictures- again, pretty crap, sorry about that!!
Have I had a good couple of nights? Well, yes. Rather muchly! (My phone corrected that to 'much KT', which was amusing and also correct!).


