Thursday, 12 December 2013

Oh, Those Arty Types!

Being friends with Drama/Media students is great, but it can get a little weird. Example? Well, over the past week I have helped advise on making fake blood look real, been made to feel pretty uncomfortable and been kidnapped. Let's start from the beginning.

Two of my friends are currently working on their Media project, which is based around the beginning of a gangster film. Therefore, on Friday, they set up studio in the middle of the school foyer (our hang-out) to create... well, a masterpiece!  
Contouring
 Bruise Time!
Finished Result
After the make up was complete, they then moved to do a location shoot in a glamorous location next to the toilets. They also confiscated the duct tape from me; I had been quite happily sat with a piece over my mouth (funnily enough, no one asked, and some said it was an improvement...!). The next step was to apply a... pillow case.
(The Yellow Door Leads To A Bathroom)
Finally, my Casualty knowledge came into play (I did suggest putting a thank you to Miss Charlotte Salt in the credits for this!) for fake blood time.
Fake Blood=Face Paint!
Next up?! The 'feeling uncomfortable', courtesy of the A level drama play I went to see yesterday. The name itself- 'Uncomfortable'- was pretty self-explanatory; being a Music student, I'd also heard and seen bits, so I knew roughly what to expect. However, it still gave me the shivers at times! It was based around Theatre of Cruelty and Birkoff, starting and finishing with Artaud-style pieces. These involved lots of 'audience participation'- we all had to stand, and the cast worked around us/through the crowd, often talking 'to' (more like 'at'!) people, and making weird noises etc., all of which was quite unsettling! The other pieces- the Birkoff scenes- were 'uncomfortable' in that they dealt with very difficult/taboo subject matter, like a scene in a 'massage parlour' (that sort of massage parlour) as well as some scenes with strong racism/sexism/homophobia, included to show that there are people who still justify that. All in all, it was thought-provoking and unsettling, and very very good.

Finally, my kidnapping. As you might have guessed, this also links to the Media project, in which I became a kidnap victim.
Check Out My 'Bruises'!
So yeah. Just another week in my life ;)