Thursday, 31 July 2014

Playlist!

***This is a scheduled post***
Some songs for you to listen to this week! There's no real theme here, just ones I've been listening to lately and/or felt like sharing. I've also put links to artists websites (or Twitter page, in one case where I couldn't find a website) and links to the other things I've mentioned, just in case you're interested! :)
First up is 'Tee Shirt' by Birdy. It was used at the end of the film of The Fault In Our Stars, and it's been one of my favourite songs since I saw it. I found the chords for it recently, and sat quite happily playing and singing! A great one to set as an alarm as well, particularly when you get the sun coming through the blinds as you start to wake up. Second is 'Leave Your Lover' by Sam Smith. I hadn't really heard of Sam Smith before, but another of his songs ('Stay With You') was used in a Casualty advert, and I really liked it. I wouldn't call myself a fan of Sam Smith as such, but definitely liking this song! It's pretty sad, but emotive- I would definitely reccommend watching the music video as well. Third up is 'Breathe' by Taylor Swift, featuring Colbie Caillat. It's a sweet song, with a good take on the end of a relationship- no anger, just a bittersweet parting. 'Come On Eileen' is the next song on the list, by Dexys Midnight Runners. I came across this when it was used in The Perks Of Being A Wallflower and it's one of my absolute favourite songs! It just makes me want to dance and sing along! (Albeit dubious lyrics...) Moving on, 'Angels On The Moon' by Thriving Ivory. I discovered this band last week, and I really like them- my favourite song is 'Flowers For A Ghost' (mentioned below). This song has a great message about wanting to live it all! Number six on my list of wonder is 'Manhattan' by Sara Bareilles- my huge music crush of last summer. I posted about this song last year, but it's so beautiful I felt it deserved another share. Similar to 'Breathe', it talks about the end of a relationship in a different way, kind of more accepting and giving in. The final song I've put into this playlist is 'Scenes From An Italian Restaurant' by Billy Joel, which featured in the closing sequence of an episode of Miranda- I Googled the lyrics after to find out the song! It's pretty long, but fantastic! Love it!
I mentioned 'Flowers For A Ghost' above; I couldn't find it on Spotify, so I've put a Grooveshark link, because it's a great song and definitely one I want to share! Interestingly, I had it in my head as we walked around Arnos Vale last week (fitting!), and a few of the lines keep coming back to me- hence their inclusion at the side of this blog!