Friday, 1 August 2014

NCS: Week One!

After being ill at the beginning of this week, I was finally able to go away on Tuesday afternoon- thank goodness! I spent the best part of my week taking part in the first week of the National Citizen Service scheme. It's a project for 16 and 17 year olds which is based around getting involved in social action projects- by the end of it, my group and I will have prepared and carried out a project to help a charity in Bristol. Of course, no group works well without some sort of preparation- so this week was a residential where we all got to take part in different experiences at the same time as getting to know each other.
In total, there are 6 groups from Bristol taking part; for this week however, we were split in half, with groups 1, 2 and 3 on a residential in Bath, and groups 4, 5 and 6 in Cheddar. I belong to group 5 (TEAM ZULU!) so I was based at the fabulous Cheddar youth hostel (which I stayed at last year!). Over the course of the week, we went to various sites to take part in activities such as caving, high ropes, archery and caving (my personal favourite). In the evenings, we got to know our fellow NCS-ers, went to the beach (it was so beautiful and I got to paddle, which we all know makes a happy Duck), played games and generally chilled out. Oh, and did 'makeovers'...
Overall it was a really great week- I was extra-nervous because I arrived late, but everyone was really welcoming and friendly and I've made so many new friends! Huge shout out to everyone who was part of the week, particularly the amazing staff and TEAM ZULU who are pure gold (basically, our bus was the party bus- as well as the 'help this bus is going way too fast' bus- and we all know the chorus to 'Gold' by Spandau Ballet- team song right there!). I'm really really looking forward to the rest of NCS!! (Though I won't actually be there next week... Guess who's returning to Efteling?!).
Right, time to go have a bath- I am so so so achy (and my hair is disgusting!). Peace out x
Jacob's Ladder
Beach <3
PADDLING WOO
Beautiful beach pics yay
More beautiful beach pics yay
Climbing!
Being creative
'Sum up your experience of NCS so far'
Our creative thing
The boys... Post makeover...