Wednesday 2 September 2015

Summer 2015

This summer... This summer's been absolutely incredible. Quite possibly the best summer to be. With sixth form fast approaching (induction tomorrow; first day Thursday), I wanted to put together a little homage to what has been such an incredible summer. This isn't an exhaustive list of the summer by any means, but a collation of the bits that really stick out as amazing.
***
The summer began, in a way, with the end of exams- though I still had to go back for two weeks of lessons and a week of volunteering, stuff was a lot more relaxed, and that's when exciting things began happening! The first exciting thing was meeting up with the Wombies to celebrate the end of exams. We decided to have a picnic by the Suspension Bridge (our favourite place), and then watched the sunset- it was utterly beautiful, and really lovely.
Soon after that was London Pride. I went up by myself, as a Stonewall Young Volunteer. Despite going by myself, I quickly made friends with a bunch of truly amazing people. It was such a beautiful day- I came away feeling incredibly empowered, and proud of both myself and all the others in the LGBTQ+ community. I'm definitely planning on going again next year, and would totally reccommend it! (I know, there are issues with London Pride. But for me, events such as this are really important. I'm not going to try explaining now, I will another time maybe).
The next weekend (I think?!) was Rock the Record, a charity gig I helped to organise, with Mentality. On the night, I was in charge of the Freedom stand, which involved making LGBTQ+ badges. They seemed to go down well, as did the whole night- everyone seemed to enjoy it, and I definitely had a great time! A few people from Freedom came and set up camp around my stall, so it was basically just helping people make badges while chilling with some of my favourite people!!
The next day was a BBQ to celebrate Freedom's 20th birthday. There's a proper celebration later on in the year, but a BBQ was held as close to the 'actual' date as possible, involving lots of food, an impromptu rendition of Romeo and Juliet, and spray painting banners for Pride. A group of us then spent time together in town- more time with some of the best people I know!
Following on from that, the next weekend was Bristol Pride- and what a Pride!! I don't think I can do words for this one; it was just utterly fantastic- the best of days, spent with the best of people!
As a belated 18th birthday celebration, my family went to Clevedon, to have lunch and then to walk along the beach/pier. There's a proper post coming about this, at some point, but it was a lovely day, as I was finally able to lay some ghosts to rest... I love Clevedon, it's so beautiful. It was nice to go there on such happy terms.
The next weekend featured the constant of every Bristolian's summer- the Harbour Festival! I went on both the Friday evening and for a large part of the Saturday, meeting up with various friends, meeting fantastic new people, and having a truly wonderful time.

Following the Harbour Festival, I went to France with my family- we spent a few days in Disney, then the remainder of a fortnight just outside of Paris. The whole two weeks was fantastic (and I'll be uploading my diary in installments, as per usual), but highlights include dancing with Mickey Mouse, the view from the Sacre-Coeur, and having tea on a rooftop!
After I got back from France I met up with some of the Freedom lot, prior to a Freedom session- we spent part of the day chilling in town. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary really, but it was a special day, just because of how amazing everyone is- I always feel really comfortable and happy when I'm with them all, and they're a truly amazing bunch!!
The week after I returned from France, LoN turned 18, so we went out for drinks to celebrate (and then to Thekla, a nightclub, later in the week)- both nights were great fun, and lovely to meet some more of her friends too!

Another highlight of every Bristolian's summer calendar, and another feature in my own personal summer, was the balloon fiesta. Though popular every year, this year was the most popular- it was super super crowded, and getting there was interesting! Thankfully, we made plans to walk most of the way, so it wasn't too bad. They also stopped letting people in, but that didn't affect us (umm, maybe it should have done?! We might've taken a shortcut, because we were following everyone else, and that's what they were all doing. I guess we'll never know!!). Anyway, though I couldn't stay long at the Balloon Fiesta, we did get to see the balloons go up, and had a chance to see friends as well, so it was well worth it!!

A week after I got back from France, I house-sat for my aunt and uncle. House-sitting was cool, though the house is old and creaky, so it got a bit nervy at times!! However, we used the chance to have our first proper Wombie sleepover. Last summer, we created a list of things we wanted to do together; so we spent two days- and a night!- doing as many things from the list as possible. An eventful, hilarious and utterly fantabulous time was had by all!! (It also featured a return to the Womb itself!)
During that week, results day occurred... So I didn't have to go home to an empty house, some friends (mostly from Freedom, funnily enough!) came over for a mini picnic, which was, of course, fantastic!! No pictures, sadly, but lots of funny memories and great conversations stored in the memory banks!!
Another big event of the summer was getting my second tattoo- I know, another one, so soon after the first! This was my present/reward/celebration to myself for both getting good A level results, and for not just getting through this year, but fighting the whole way. This year's been a tough one, and I wanted to do something to commemorate that. So a new tattoo seemed perfect!!
Following that whirlwind of events, we reach the last week of the holidays- which may well have been the most eventful! During this last week, I met up with people (again, mostly Freedom) for the day- as ever with that group, a day to treasure! Highlights include dancing in the rain in the middle of Broadmead, and dancing to Uptown Funk outside of a shop- until they turned it off!
The next day, I met up with a few of the Cat Family, which of course was lovely! Having not seen them for a while, it was great to catch up and spend time together!!
A couple of days after that, I went charity shop hunting with the lovely RMF. Day rider bus passes in hand, we went to a total of 10 charity shops, and brought things in 5 of them- all in all, a pretty successful day! I got a lovely pair of trousers which I'm very excited to wear, and a jumper that'll be perfect for the autumn/winter!
Friday was maybe my highlight of the entire summer, and something that more than definitely deserves it's own post- a group of us (can you guess who we were mostly made up of?!) went to a field by a river for the day, and spent the day swimming and playing games. I can neither confirm or deny this at the present moment, but the swimming may have been done less than clothed. There are rumours of such activity, anyway. It was a day that I really really can't put into words. It was just everything.
As the holidays came to a close, we had the 'big event' (or one of!) for my 2015in2015 campaign- a sponsored walk to Bath! Myself and three others walked from Bristol to Bath, which is a grand total of around 15 miles. We were rather footsore at the end, but I'm so glad we did it, and of course very proud of us all!
Yesterday evening involved karaoke with my dear friend Romeo, which was hilarious and fantastic! And, lastly, I've spent today with- who else?!- mostly Freedom people, finishing with Freedom itself this evening. What a beautiful and lovely way to end such a fantastic summer!
***
I want to finish this blog post with the most important bit- the hugest, and most heartfelt, of thank yous to everyone who made this summer so bloody incredible. There has never been another time in my life that I've felt this comfortable- that I've felt so happy, and loved, and supported. I go around feeling perpetually blessed, to be surrounded by people who make me feel both so whole, and so myself. I really don't know how I got this lucky, to get this life. After what has been a difficult year, particularly when it comes to love, I am learning to love and to live again- but now, when I say I am in love, I mean I am wholly in love with each and every one of my close friends; I am in love with life, and existence, and humanity; I am in love with the very act of living. This summer, I have danced in the rain, and sung loudly in public; I have laughed until I cried, until my sides ached with laughter; I have done things I never thought possible. I've said I love you not once, to one person, but a hundred times over (which, btw, is one of my favourite things about the people I am close to- that we are not stingy with recognising and sharing our love). I have been happy. So damn happy. Beyond happy. I am returning to sixth form with a heavy heart, because the summer is over- but, equally, with a hopeful one- knowing that I will carry this summer with me, and knowing that, just because the summer is over and it's back to sixth form etc., there will still be fantastical times.
***
Adieu summer. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.