Monday, 8 October 2012

And You Expect My Sympathy Because?

Dear B,
So you smoke weed, and you think it makes you cool. I've told you a million times I hate the fact that you do it; that I think it's stupid; that I refuse to be associated with it. Now that you've been busted- and not even that, really- you expect my sympathy. Seriously?
Why should I be sympathetic? I've told you since the start that I disagree, and that it's going to get you in trouble. I've asked you- begged you- to stop. I've debated ways of making you stop; we all have.
If you ever wanted me to help you stop smoking, I'd be there throughout. However, I don't feel sympathetic that you've finally been stopped. In fact, I wish it would last. You think addictions are cool? I've seen lives ruined by them.
Maybe you should have sat there, talked to the old man I met whilst walking home, heard the regret in his voice as he told me never to smoke. A stranger, yes; but if ever anyone asks me to smoke- weed or otherwise- I'll remember him, hunched over and tired. I'l remember him asking me not to get into that, and I'll refuse.
It's not cool to be stupid.