Wednesday, 4 September 2013

Raise Your Glass

So. Today is... well, the start of sixth form. That's a bit scary, but mainly exciting. I'm looking forward to it- it's the new beginning that I want with the familiarity that I love too. I realised that I never did a 'best memories of secondary school' or anything. In a way I don't want to do one, because I'm bound to miss something, and it won't mean much to people who don't know what I'm on about. On the other hand, this blog is a great way of recording my life, and it feels like this needs to be recorded. I've decided to do a list of things, a bit like my 2013 post, way back at the start of this year. It won't be comprehensive, but here goes. My favourite things/memories about secondary school.

The People
This almost goes without saying. I have met some truly awesome people, both students and teachers, due to school, and I will always be grateful for the experiences I have had in meeting and working with these people. Though there have been people who I haven't got along with- hopefully not too many of them are coming back for sixth form!- the fab people I've met more than make up for this. I could get really soppy, but yeah. Moving on.

In-Jokes
Just to save time and confusion, I'm going to generalise this. There are sooo many of them, and most of them still exist. My days would not be the same without scarf and hat wearing swans who resemble squirrels and like cats who work as musical ensembles.

Music
Another obvious one. The BTEC Music course I did was easily one of the best decisions I have ever ever made- it's improved my confidence and, well, everything to levels I didn't think possible. Just think: I was quiet before I started BTEC Music. Exactly. Good memories from this include the Jubilee Bash, every school concert and- well, practically every lesson. There was always something amusing, something interesting. Again, there were many in-jokes, and quotes such as 'I'M NOT A KING, MORE OF A DEMI-GOD'. The teachers were awesome and the others in the class were the best people to work with. Though I've grown apart from the majority of the people in my class, I will always have fantastic memories of them. I'm getting soppy again. Someone stop me.

Sports Day
I am not sporty. And yet I kind of loved sports day. It involved face paint (second pic down!) and dodging teachers who tried to make us do sport and eating sweets and generally doing nothing (we left it to the sporty people). What's not to love?!

Weird Conversations
These were routine, and something I have really missed over the summer- definitely looking forward to more of these! Some of my best discussions and quotes have come from school. Here's proof.

Folk
Another category that I could have divided up, namely into 'Folk Rehearsals', 'Ceilidh' and 'Fantastic Mr Fox'. It's all folk at the end of the day, and it's all fantastic. I can't wait for another year of folk, and hopefully more performances. My band-mates rock!

Trips
Particularly the ones I went on this year. They've all been so good, and always a little weird! From getting a parking ticket in Bath to photographing a sheep outside Westminster, these were super.

Tutor
My tutor group was the best. Honestly. We played volleyball in tutor time with a roll of sellotape and flag bunting. Do I really need to say much more?!

Signing Thursdays
Realising that these aren't going to happen anymore is one of the weirdest things ever. They were always different, and- of course!- weird and wonderful. Such a good way to spend Thursday lunchtimes ;) Plus, it lead to one of my proudest achievements! ;)

Gambia
The happiest and best two weeks of my life.

Development/Support
I'm going to end on this one. It's a big one. Basically, when I started secondary school, I was this quiet little thing who preferred to stay in her comfort zone and not be noticed. I am definitely not that person now. If I was, I don't think I would have had a lot of the experiences I have had, or be able to see the potential that life has. I give secondary school in all it's forms (the lessons, the people etc.) full credit for this change, and I am so so glad. On a related note, whenever I have needed support it has been there. That was a huge thing for me.

As you can probably tell, I could go on and on. However, I actually need to go. Alas. So as a parting note: a phenomenally huge thank you to secondary school and everyone/everything I have encountered over the past five years. Here's to the next two being just as spectacular!!!!