Monday, 21 January 2013

Yes, Go On, Explain Your Point

Following conversation was between myself (D), random year 8/9 boy (RB) and one of the music teachers (CC). I almost feel sorry for people who make homophobic statements (etc.) when I'm around...

RB: Being gay is weird
D: Sorry, would you like to repeat that?
RB: Being gay is weird...
D: Okay, now explain your point
(Enter CC)
D: Go on! Explain why being gay is weird
RB: (hesitates) Well-
CC: Yes, go on, keep debating, I'd like to hear you justify your point
RB: It's just... weird
D: Homosexuality is found in over 400 species
RB: Right
D: Whilst homophobia is found in one. Is it still weird?
RB: Um... No...
D: I think you owe me an apology
RB: Why!?
D: You actually quite offended me. So, apology.
RB: Sorry

He then went on to call me a boy and to tell me I was weird for being bi. So I got increasingly annoyed. Seriously, what is his problem!? Some people are gay; some people are bi; some people are other; some people are straight. I don't tell people they're weird because they're straight, can't the same courtesy be extended to me?