Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Headspace!!

As you may have gathered from various blogging things, I have been really really busy recently. This is fab- I'm doing lots, and enjoying it all, and everything is pretty fabby. However, I blog a lot about the big stuff I do that makes me busy. This isn't a post about that. This is a post about the times I'm not busy.
Ask anyone who knows me, and they will tell you that I am very much a people person. I love meeting people, I love chatting- I just love people really! However, in order to be that people person, I very much need my own space too- time when I can recover from being busy and being surrounded by people- which are two things I am a lot of the time.
I call the time I have to myself 'headspace'- time and space that allows me to get my head together, and allows me to be me. Headspace can take various forms, depending on where I am and what's going on. If I have the time, I absolutely love long walks with the dog- yesterday evening I went to one of my favourite spots just at the right time to make the most of the beautiful views, which was really lovely and very calming.
However, with being busy and rushing around a lot, I've had to find ways of getting headspace in other ways too. For example, today I had an hour between NCS and Brook, so I sat by the Harbour with my notebook and headphones. The Harbour is one of my absolute favourite places, probably ever, and it's great when I need a break because I'm surrounded by people, and I get to people watch, but I don't have to interact.
This coping mechanism has been hugely important recently, as so much of my time has been spent with people, many of whom I don't know that well. I love all of that, of course, but it means I value my time alone more, even if it's a ten minute walk with my headphones in.
So there you go: headspace!