Tomorrow I start Year 13. Therefore, today is the last day of the summer. Not just any summer. The biggest and best summer I have ever had. The sort of time period that becomes a landmark- it feels so weird to be going back to sixth form tomorrow, because I have grown and changed so much in the past few weeks.
For me, the summer always begins with my birthday, this year celebrated in three parts- with my family on the day, with my friends for a picnic, and with the WombBuds. Soon after this, there was YCF2014, which was a really fantastic weekend. At the beginning of July I started my Level Two swim teaching course, which was nerve-wracking but which actually went really well! I also went up to London to watch the amazing drama group perform (and to take pictures of beautiful beautiful London). I also went to see CAITLIN MORAN, and blogged about this for PBG. Though I was incredibly busy with the swim teaching, I got to go to PRIDE for a bit, which was really fab- so going again next year!! The following week was my work experience, which was very positive (and also involved lots of vegetables and the Playground Cafe). The video I helped make with Rife Magazine premiered, and I felt pretty accomplished (finished the swim course and got my piano results back), PCH turned 18 and I went to the Harbour Festival on my lemon!
The week after I got to see some of the swimming friends, including someone I only see once a year or so, and I saw the WombBuds. At the weekend I went to a party at the place I did my work experience, and also failed at baking, much to CF's disgust. The next week, I went away on a residential with NCS (albeit after missing a day due to being ill). I missed the second week of the residential, but did manage to go for a day, which was fab. The rest of the week was amazingly magical as I frolicked with the elves in Efteling!!
When I returned from Efteling my friend and I dyed our hair and went to the Balloon Fiesta. There was more NCS the next week as we volunteered with Wild Goose and planned our project; I blogged about everything we did here. The same week, I got my A level results and (some of) Cat Family had a sleepover.
The next week there was a lot more NCS; I also went on the radio, which was a huge personal goal.
Finally, I had possibly the biggest week of my life- we did the sponsored sleep-out, I went on an exciting trip to London (for tourism and Parliament and general feminist chilling) and, finally, Team Lucky Cat had a sleepover and did Color Me Rad!!
Wow!! I'm exhausted just thinking about it to be honest. It's been such an amazing summer. I've met and got to know some truly fantastic people; I've also spent more time with people I knew anyway who fit into the category of truly fantastic. Thank you to all of them.
It's also been a big summer in terms of development and growth. I've had
some experiences that have really made me think, some to the point of
changing me and helping me grow as a person. I'm looking at the world a
little differently now, and I think that's for the better. I've made
decisions that not everyone will agree with, I've done things that I-
don't regret, exactly, but wish I'd done differently. I've really really
learnt a great deal, and I am taking so much away from this.
It's just been- well, beyond words. And I know I harp on about mental health a lot, but- this time last year I was really ill, and I couldn't see things getting any better. I've come so so far, to the point of being able to say that I'm the happiest I've ever been. That is so so huge, I really can't emphasise how much that means to me.
Summer 2014, you have been freaking amazing. You have been such a landmark in my life. Thank you for being rad, and thank you so much to everyone I've shared it with. All the love. So much love.
Year 13? Get ready. Here I come.