Wednesday, 25 December 2013

Merry Christmas

I've just got back from a midnight service, and am cuddled up in bed with warm milk and 'The Chalet School Christmas Story Book', so it seemed like a good time to do my Christmas post!
Last year I remember writing about remembering the true message of Christmas; I felt very sad then, for the shooting at Sandy Hook had been not long before, and my thoughts were full of all the bereaved families. Therefore, I want to begin with a word of love for them, a year on- though Christmas will never again be what it once was, I hope that they are doing the best they can, in the circumstances, and know that we're still thinking of them.
For a lot of people, Christmas is an incredibly hard time- though it can be a truly lovely time to come together, it can also be a painful reminder of people who aren't there, or similar things. It's also extremely stressful- families and friends are great, but all at once can be hard work. A lot of the time the world seems to go on about feeling festive without stopping to think of those who can't partake in those feelings, for all sorts of reasons. To those people- I love you, and I am thinking of you.
To stick with a serious note, it also often seems like the world forgets what Christmas is about. It's not about the presents, or the food, or dressing up an letting your hair down. It's about humanity, and love, and hope: a time for some of the most beautiful parts of human nature to come together. Please don't forget that, when you eagerly rush to see what Santa has brought you.
In the service I went to today, they spoke of my favourite historical event, and I want to share that with you: Christmas 1914, in the trenches. Many had hoped that World War One would be over by Christmas- obviously, that never happened. The soldiers felt demoralised, and probably as detached from Christmas as you can feel. However, in the midst of that, something magical happened: the German soldiers lit candles, and started singing carols. One of them got out of the trench, and walked  bravely across 'No Man's Land'. It was a hugely risky move, but it paid off- the British soldiers did the same, joining in the carols and crossing to shake hands with their 'enemy'. For the whole of Christmas Day, they held a truce. The opposing soldiers came together to talk, to joke, to exchange small gifts, to play football- they even retold the Christmas story and prayed. One day of absolute peace.
I absolutely adore this story, and find it incredibly moving, because I think it reflects the true meaning of Christmas, as a time of peace; and when I say I wish Christmas was all year round, I'm not thinking of the presents, but of the positive feelings it provokes. I wish those would last.
It's really late now, and I need to get some sleep, so I'll finish there. But please, please- remember the true message of the celebrations. I love you; Merry Christmas one and all.