Wednesday, 16 April 2014

It's Been A Good Term

I was going to write this at the beginning of the Easter break, reflecting on the just-finished term (Term 4). However, I was really busy, and wanted to do it justice, so it got left- up until now!

Since I started writing this blog, I have experienced 10 school terms (one of those being study leave, but oh well), and none of those have merited their own individual blog post. So why now, for term 4 of sixth form? Well, because it's been, as Kait Rokowski might put it, a good term. For the first time in goodness knows how long- maybe since Year 9? Maybe even since the beginning of secondary school?! It's hardly been the smoothest experience- I have been mostly happy for a whole term. This is extraordinary, and I still can't quite believe it's happened. A year ago, I didn't think I'd get here- not just to having a good term, but here at all. This is such a huge contrast to last year, and I couldn't be happier with it.
That's not to say the last term has been perfect, or even easy. It hasn't been. I've had a couple of reasonably major freak-outs, I've not slept well, there have been ups and downs, and there have been times when I've felt triggered. But just the fact that I can count that up is pretty amazing- in Term 3, it would almost have been easier to total the times I felt happy! This is life, and it isn't perfect- in most cases, it's rare to have an extended period of time where everything goes completely 'right'. With the things going on in my life all the time, this is even more unlikely. But when things go wrong, that doesn't mean I can't be happy, or that I can't find ways to cope, or that nothing is ever going to go right ever again. It just means that something went wrong. I can- and have, and will- pick up the pieces, and find my way again.
It has been a good term. I know all too well the precariousness I am balanced on, and I know how easily things can change. But it has been a good term, and that is something to be so incredibly thankful for.
Bring on the next!